Does intake of vitamin D supplements help in treating GERD?

Dr. Harish Naik

Posted on Tue, 7 Jun 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Hi
I am a patient of gerd. About four days back visited my doctor with problems like chest pain during the night. Ecg and tmt tests are fine. Burning sensation in the legs. Little bit stomach upset.
He has suggested endoscopy vitamin d and b12 tests. Both vitamin tests at very low level and endoscopy result is fundal gastritis. Doctor has written 3 months course. One tablet for vitamin d weekly once and injections for b12 twice in a week and nexpro red 40.
Can you guide me whether I am going in the right direction? Also suggest some food which has to be avoided. I am a occasional alcaholic taking a glass of beer.
Thank you in advance.
Answered by Dr. Harish Naik 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You are on right course of treatment.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome.
I have gone through your query.
You are on right course, I would suggest you to take the medication as suggested.

And for GERD, I would suggest you to avoid food that are known to aggrevate the symptoms like citrus, chilly, spicy, fried, coffee, carbonated drinks, regulate the intake of meat, add more vegetables to your diet. Diet richbin fiber will be beneficial. You can take curd which will be helpful.

Eat small frequent meals instead of heavy one. Avoid lying down immediately after food, walk for 10 to 15 minutes after food. Do not starve as it increases the acidity, eat food frequently. Keep the head area raised while sleeping, use two pillows. Avoid smoking and alcohol.

This provisional advice provided by me is based entirely on the input provided to me. I would suggest examination by the doctor.

I hope this suggestion might be of some help to you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad