Does intake of progesterone help in treating menopause symptoms?

Dr. Priyanka G Raj

Infectious Diseases Specialist

Posted on Wed, 14 Sep 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hi, I am a 50 yr old female who had the flu about a month ago which developed into broncitis. My blood pressure was 161/89 and the 158/91 a few days later. I have days where I feel my energy is back and I feel normal followed by days where I feel extremely tired/light headed and just overall not "right". The doctor did not want to prescribe anti biotics as of 10 days ago. I feel my airways are a lot better but just can't shake this bug. On the days I feel better and do some activity (gym/horseback riding at an easy level) the next day I don't feel well again. My blood pressure was slightly high (140/80) over the last year or so, always 120/80 prior. I consider myself generally a fit healthy person but I have had increased weight gain in the last month due to not being able to exercise at all which I am sure isn't helping. The only meds I am on is progesterone to help with menopause symptoms. Thanks!
Answered by Dr. Priyanka G Raj 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Continue your progesterone tablet

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for the query
i can understand your concern
During menopause, anxiety, irritability, hot flashes are all common.So because of axiety, there are chances of increasing in BP.So try to avoid salt in the diet.
Keep checking your BP once in 15 days.If it is more than normal in 3 consecutive times, you may need to start with low dose of anti hypertensive drugs.
Also avoid excess of coffee or tea and avoid hot and humid climates.
Avoid saturated fatty foods.
Take good amount of milk, soya proteins and walnuts daily.
Follow healthy lifestyle.
If you have any doubt, you are welcome.
Dr Priyanka G Raj
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Priyanka G Raj