• question-icon

Does intake of opioid help in treating induced leukoencephalopathy?

Posted on Wed, 1 Jun 2016 in General Health
Question: My son was diagnosed with opioid induced toxic leukoencephalopathy caused by excessive consumption of suboxone. He has been intubated in icu for7 days. He gets agitated with the tubes when he is awake and has almost coughed out the tubes and pushes it around with his tongue. He has responses to a lot of stimuli, but it is not always consistent. He did well on the cpap tests, but doctors are not comfortable with removing tubes. He is now scheduled for a Featherstone on Wednesday. Meanwhile, they have him on a sedative and fentanyl. I am looking for any insight and my specific question is should they be using an opioid for treatment given the diagnosis and original cause? Thanks, concerned parent.

Sorry autocorrect changed tracheostomy to Featherstone.

Expansion of details: had pneumonia from vomit in lungs; did 2 ctrl scans that came b a c'mon looking good; insisted on Mir and that came back substantial dmg to white brain matter; eeg had global interference.
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Opiods can be used

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for using Healthcaremagic.

I read your query with keen interest and understand your concern.

First of all I must acknowledge that very limited literature is available about the treatment of buprenorphine induced leucoencephalopathy and the treatment is mostly symptomatic. It will not be wrong to say that we have very limited treatment options for leucoencephalopathy.

Since he is agitated and there is need to calm him down the need for opioids is definitely warranted. I understand that they are the cause of current condition but it is known that in regulated dosage the chance of further damage is nil to very low.

It need to be mentioned that risk benefit ratio of diploids is in favour of their use and they can be used in current condition.

I hope this helps you.
If you have more questions feel free to write back to me.
Thanks and regards.
Dr. Ashok Kumar

Psychiatrist