• question-icon

Does intake of Zapiz help in treating insomnia?

Posted on Tue, 24 May 2016 in General Health
Question: Good eve doctor - my doctor has prescribed ativan 1mg + ramitax 8 mg along with mirtaz 7.5 in the night and Lesuride 25 in the morning. Have been taking ativan and ramitax since Monday. Didn't sleep at all on Monday night, Tuesday night was OK and Wednesday again didn't sleep at all. Also, theres a slight disturbance in the stomach, didn't feel like having breakfast today and feeling extra hungry with hunger pangs, wanted to check with you the following:
Can ativan or ramilast also cause insomnia as read on the net and it says insomnia can be the side effects of both, also it says both can cause nausea and ativan can cause constipation, nausea and appetite changes and I am feeling the same kind of symptoms. Do you think changing ativan to etizolam or zapiz is an option? Do you think either etizolam or zapiz are as effective for insomnia as ativan? My pattern has been sleeping one day and not sleeping for next 1-2 days, it's really bothersome. Pls advice.
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Zapiz can become one option.

Detailed Answer:
Hello again

Thanks for asking again

Ativan is Lorazepam and is a benzodiazepine drug and helps in sleep. The drug causes sedation and thus results in sleep. Ramelteon is a melatonin agonist drug and helps to regulate the sleep. Both these drugs are used in treatment of insomnia and dont result in insomnia.

Ativan can cause nausea but at 1 mg dose constipation is not seen. I am using the drug in doses of 4-6 mg per day in my patients and no issues related to constipation were observed. Ativan is rapid acting and have better efficacy than Etizolam. Zapiz is relatively longer acting and can become option in place of Ativan if there are problems.

Zapiz will be effective for insomnia and can be considered as action. So if there is problem in sleep then you can think of starting the Zapiz. This should help in regulating the sleep.

Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Naveen Kumar
Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi

Psychiatrist