Does intake of Xanax help in treating anxiety and nervousness

Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe

Psychiatrist

Posted on Mon, 6 Jun 2016 in Mental Health
Question: I'm looking for a doctor in XXXXXXX County Michigan that will prescribe me lmg xanax 3 times daily. My Doctor that did, got in a bad accident and could no longer work and his wife got in a head on collision and she also was a Doctor and can no longer work. I have had bad anxiety since I was a little girl, my Mother was abuse in every way you could imagine, my Father protected me when he could. My Father passed when I was 15 and he was only 48, the abuse got worse, I was also abuse by my brother and sister as well. Every thing scares me. I got married and my husband abused me, I've been alone for 18 years, and have had to rent rooms to survive, which scares me as well. I just found out that I have mild COPD I quit smoking, I'm on Oxygen nervous as a cat on a hot tin roof and depressed. I really don't have and close friends, I just loss my Aunt that I loved almost as much as my Father. I'm so lonely,. I have two children a daughter that is becoming a nurse and want's me to live with her and her husband, but they way they talk to each other I couldn't live with them. I plan to sell my home when I can get some equity out of it, and my daughter won't let me go without. I will get something subzidized an apartment. I don't see longeivity in my life, I just don't want to be a nervous wreck every moment of the rest of my life. My Doctor Lockwitz that I was seeing for 12 years before he couldn't work anymore prescribe me 3 1mg of xanax a day, some day I would only need 2. The Doctors have been prescribing me anxiety since my Father passed. After Dr. Lockwitz couldn't work any more I have to go to a community health center because I'm on Medicare, I'm on Social Security Retirement Disability. They will only prescribe me 2 5mg valium a day, which is like take a baby asprin. Over the years I've tried many different anxiety medicines, and xanax works for me. I will be 60 years old in a few months I know my body and what works for me, I don't understand why Doctors don't understand that. I live in Oxford Michigan. Is their someone you can refer me to? Sincerely, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Consultation

Detailed Answer:
Hello, and thanks for your question to HCM.

I'm sorry you are going through so much. Here are my thoughts.

Let me explain why doctors are hesitant to prescribe Xanax to you. Xanax is useful for the short-term management of anxiety, this is true. But when it is used beyond 2 months, it has serious side effects in people your age. It leads to rebound anxiety, as it's onset and offset is around an hour and leads to periods of sedation and withdrawal.

It leads to memory loss, decreased cognitive ability, can cause delirium, dependence, and when the dose is altered suddenly can cause seizures and even death. It is not intended to be used long-term for anxiety management.

Long-term management of anxiety is best done with antidepressants, which are highly effective when the right one for you is found. Examples include Prozac, Zoloft, and Lexapro. This can be curative for anxiety and have no serious long-term side effects. Another non-medication option is cognitive behavioral therapy, or CBT. To my knowledge no one on this website lives in Michigan, so you will have to go through your Medicare provider to find a psychiatrist in your area. But I suggest treatment with an antidepressant or CBT, rather than Xanax or other Benzodiazepines. I do offer text-based CBT on this website via my private link below if you are interested.

I hope this explanation and these suggestions were useful for you.

Please remember to rate and close this answer when you are finished and satisfied.

In the future, for continuity of care, I encourage you to contact me directly at my private link below. After you ask a direct question, it would be my pleasure to be your dedicated personal physician on this website. My name is Dr. Sheppe, and I am an XXXXXXX doctor working in New York City at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital, ranked #1 for Psychiatry in the United States (tinyurl.com/psyrank). For a personalized comprehensive evaluation, treatment recommendations, and individual therapy, ask me at HealthCareMagic at this private link: tinyurl.com/DrSheppeAnswers
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee