Does intake of Warfarin help in curing Factor V Leiden?

Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar

Pulmonologist

Posted on Tue, 29 Mar 2016 in General Health
Question: Is any particular blood thinner better then any other when treating Factor Five Leiden?
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 3 minutes later
Warfarin is better and time tested drug.
Hope I have solved your query. I will be happy to help you further. Please hit thanks.
Follow up: Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 2 hours later
I know Warfarin has been around longer but could you explain more as to why Warfarin is better in treating Factor Five Leiden versus Xarelto or Pradaxa
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 15 hours later
Brief Answer:
Are you having factor V deficiency?

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your follow up question on Health Care Magic.
I can understand your.
Sorry for late reply.
Please let me know
1. Which disease you are having?
2. Are you having factor V deficiency?
I am asking this because these drugs are anticoagulant drugs and contraindicated on factor V deficiency because in this disease, patient has bleeding disorder, so anticoagulant drugs are not given.
Please reply me answers of above asked questions, so that I can guide you better. I will be happy to help you further. Wish you good health. Thanks.
Follow up: Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 9 hours later
They defined it as Factor five Leiden. It was found out after i hd a stroke in Nov 2014 and a second one in XXXXXXX 2015. I also have a small Pfo in my heart with a right to left shunt. I hve hd a heart monitor inserted for the past year and no AFib has showned up. I have been on Warfarin for 8 months. However my cardiologist is considering changing my blood thinner to one of the newer one because they have less risks and need less monitoring. However, the big question is do these work the same with the Factoe Five Leiden as the Warfarin.
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
Xeralto and pradaxa will be better.

Detailed Answer:
I can understand your concern.
So you are having hyper coagulation due to high factor V laden.
Yes, your doctor was right. Newer drugs are more beneficial in terms of less monitoring and less side effects.

Therapeutic effect are similar to warfarin. Therefore I wouldn't be overly worried about the change. Infact, I would look forward to this change. You should definitely shift on newer drugs like xeralto or pradaxa. No harms with it.

Hope I have solved your query. I will be happy to help you further. Wish you good health. Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad