Does intake of Synthroid help maintain energy levels?

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Fri, 10 Mar 2017 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: I take Synthroid (0.05) for my throid should this help boost my energy level?
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
fatigue

Detailed Answer:

If you have recently started Synthroid to treat hypothyroidism, it can take a couple of months for it to help your energy level. If you have been on it for a long time, make sure your thyroid levels are in a good range by having your TSH tested if it hasn't been done so in recent months.

Fatigue can be from a number of things. Hypothyroidism can definitely cause lower energy levels. So can anemia so if you haven't had a CBC in recent months that would be something to check.

Depression can also cause low energy. Regular exercise can help.

And poor sleep, such as from sleep apnea, can cause low energy during the day. There are new procedures for evaluating sleep apnea where you can be tested while you are sleeping at home - don't have to go to a sleep lab. So if you are overweight, snore, or people tell you that you snore or snort or sleep in fits, that is something to consider.

If you are a vegetarian, you should have your vitamin B12 level checked.

Diabetes, if uncontrolled, can cause fatigue.

I hope this information helps. Please let me know if I can provide further information.