Does intake of Rexulti help in treating dystonic tremor?

Dr. Olsi Taka

Neurologist

Posted on Thu, 15 Sep 2016 in Brain and Spine
Question: I have been making uncontrollable muscle movements and uncontrollable vocal sounds. It may be a side effect of my prescribed medication (Rixalti). The last time I went to the emergency room to be healed of my seizure (convulsions), the doctor said that it's a dystonic reaction to my medication (Rixalti) and that this could be permanent. The doctor then gave me cogentin to stop my involuntary muscle movements and involuntary vocal sounds. The cogentin made it stop temporarily but it came back as soon I ran out of it. I'm not sure whether or not it would be good for me to go to the emergency room today to have them inject more cogentin into my bloodstream. Do you have any advice on how I can make my dystonic tremor from the Rixalti permanently stop? Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Read below.

Detailed Answer:
I read your question carefully and I understand your concern.

Those symptoms may well be related to the medication use. Actually I am not aware of any medication called "Rixalti", must be a misspelling, but I am assuming you mean "Rexulti". If that is the case it is a class of drugs which may cause movement disorders such as tardive dyskinesia, dystonia, tics etc.

In terms of permanently making it stop I am afraid that the only possible way is to reduce or stop Rexulti, as long as it is acting the causing mechanism remains there. Actually it is not even guaranteed that it will go away if you stop Rexulti, as the ER doctor said there is a chance it may be permanent.
So to at least try to permanently stop it you should try and talk with the doctor who prescribed Rexulti, if a medication of that class is really necessary maybe another medication of the same class such as CLozapin may be used, causes less movement disorders.

In the meanwhile you can continue with Cogentin since it was effective, it is natural that symptoms would return once it was interrupted, it is not a cure, it only controls the symptoms, so it should be continued, can be taken by mouth not necessarily injection.

I remain at your disposal for further questions.