Does intake of Promethazine help in treating personality disorder?
Generalised Anxiety disorder
Borderline Personality Disorder and
Dependent Personality Disorder.
I am really after any information you can give me about promethazine. What it is used for? What, in your opinion has the doctor from the Personality Disorder Community Team suggested for me for? Side effects I should watch out for while I/my body is getting used to it? Anything that anyone who spends time with me needs to look out for symptom wise?
Sorry to ask you so many questions. But as I have got the next 2 weeks of medication already I have got at least 2 weeks to find out what I can about this medication to harm myself with information, so I know what I am dealing with when I do officially start taking it.
Also, on information, I have read about it so far, it suggests to take this medication as and when needed, I don't think that is going to work for me. Obviously I will go to speak to the pharmacy staff who deal with my medication, but as a second opinion, how often should I take it?
Hello, and thanks so much for utilizing my direct private service. I now consider you my private patient, and will do absolutely everything I can to help you in every way.
Promethazine is a versatile medication that is used in many ways, due to its effects on many receptors in the brain (dopamine, histamine, acetylcholine, serotonin). It can act as a mood stabilizer, an anti-allergy medication, an anti-nausea medication, a sleep medication, and an anti-anxiety medication. I suspect given your history that it is being used as an as-needed anti-anxiety medication, or perhaps as a medication to help you sleep at night.
This medication has side effects you should be aware of. It can cause you to feel very sleepy, so the dose may need to be adjusted (lowered) if this happens. It can also cause low blood pressure, dizziness, dry mouth, and urinary retention. These are the most common things I would look out for.
In terms of dosing, I would take 12.5 no more than three times daily. This can be increased if needed to higher doses, but I always start with the lowest dose first to avoid side effects.
Please feel free to ask any and all followup questions you may have.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Obsessive compulsive personality disorder
- Can yoga and meditation treat personality disorders borderline
- Cellulitis personality disorder correlation
- Moody personality disorder
- Boyfriend with histrionic personality disorder
- What is personality disorder and how to treat it
- Will deplin treat borderline personality disorder?
- Personality disorder cluster c
- Disprin for borderline personality disorder
- Is paranoid personality disorder curable
- What other medication can show a false positive for Oxazepam and Temazepam?
- Suggest treatment for premature ejaculation
- Which genetic test predicts how effective psychiatric medication are at...
- What causes erectile dysfunction after kegel exercises?
- Suggest ways to wean off Abilify
- What do these PFT test results indicate?
- Suggest treatment for visual hallucinations
- Suggest treatment for borderline personality disorder
- How to rule out bipolar disorder?
- Suggest treatment for withdrawal symptoms of Hydrocodone