Does intake of Progesterone have any affect of conception after a miscarriage?

Dr. Ramadevi Wani

OBGYN

Posted on Thu, 1 Sep 2016 in Women's Health
Question: Hello Dr, can progesterone hurt my chances of becoming pregnant again after miscarriage. I want to get pregnant again soon . How do I take care of my self towards that. Thnk u
Answered by Dr. Ramadevi Wani 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Taking Progesterone does not affect your chances of conception.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to Health Care Magic.
I am Dr Ramadevi Wani. I will be answering your concerns today.

Did you have an ultrasound? What were the findings? What is the level of HCG?

If the bleeding is very heavy ( more than your normal menstrual flow), then probably the pregnancy is no longer present. You need to get an ultrasound done first. By now one should see a pregnancy sac. Take progesterone only if there is a sac seen or if HCG level is doubling every 48 hours. Otherwise taking Progesterone is of no value.

Progesterone does not affect your chances of conception. So do not worry about it.
You have conceived once. This is a very good sign. This means that you do not have apparent fertility problem. So relax

To increase your chances of conception, maintain normal BMI, quit smoking ( if you're a smoker) and have intercourse at least three times in a week.

Take a tablet of Folic acid daily.
I hope this is helpful.
If you have further concerns, I will be happy to answer.

Best Wishes,
Dr Rama
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee