Does intake of Plan B pill lead to menstrual irregularities?

Dr. Ramadevi Wani

OBGYN

Posted on Wed, 7 Sep 2016 in Pregnancy
Question: I took plan b today. I was afraid of a mishap with my bc pill. i may not have needed it. my period is due in one week. will it be late because of the plan b?
Answered by Dr. Ramadevi Wani 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Usually the period is not delayed.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to Healthcare Magic.
I am Dr Ramadevi Wani. I will be answering your concerns.
It is known that for women who take Plan B in the fourth week usually the period starts at the expected date. Rarely it is delayed by few days. The duration of bleeding may be longer.

I hope this is helpful.
If you have further concerns, I will be happy to answer.

Best wishes,
Dr Rama
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Ramadevi Wani 1 hour later
Ok, even while on the pill? Why is that? I am between day 16 and 17 of my active pills. my period usually comes on day 4 of inactive pills.
Answered by Dr. Ramadevi Wani 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
Details below

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.

Yes. Even when on pills, the period may be sometimes delayed by few days. This is because Postinor is Progesterone. Progesterone causes thickening of the endometrium preventing its breakdown thus delaying the period sometimes.

If you have further queries, do write to me.

Best wishes,
Dr Rama
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Priyanka G Raj
I'm confused. before you said it shouldn't be delayed if taken in week 4?
Answered by Dr. Ramadevi Wani 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Details below.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome back.

Yes I have written that when Plan B is taken in the fourth week usually the period starts at the expected date. RARELY it is delayed by few days. In my earlier answer I have explained the reason for the delay.

I hope it is clear now.

Best wishes,
Dr Rama
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Ramadevi Wani 29 hours later
ok thanks. I've just heard that that is when it will most likely delay your period, especially when taken in last week of active bc pills. i did have some cramping about a day after taking plan b....thanks again.
Answered by Dr. Ramadevi Wani 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Details below

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Welcome back.

When Plan B is taken in the fourth week of active pills also the period usually starts on the expected date. If at all there is any change , then it is delay in the period and not early period bleeding.

Best wishes,
Dr Rama
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Veerisetty Shyamkumar