Does intake of Ofloxacin help in treating food poison in a child?

Dr. Deepak Patel

Pediatrician

Posted on Mon, 6 Jun 2016 in Child Health
Question: Hi
My daughter is abt 5 years and 8 months old . On sathurday we had lunch in restaurent and on sunday he got loose motion and on monday she started vometing and fever at 102 . We consulted doctor he said she has food poisioning and to stop voming he give injuction of EMSET today morning and give antibioti named OFLOXACIN

Is this treament ok but now she had taken one dose of antibiotic in morning but have now fever . We gave plain paracetamol for fever

Pks suggest treatment

Also pls tell us that she always got stomoch infection in 2-3 months
And cold frequently and throat infection and due to this infection she got fever

Doctor slways give antibiotic

Pls suggest some tonic for improving immunity

Answered by Dr. Deepak Patel 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Treatment is correct.

Detailed Answer:
hi,
Welcome to this forum.
Can understand your concerns.

This is definitely food poisoning because she had her lunch on Saturday and then got loose stool, vomiting and fever.

In food poisoning, there is vomiting, fever, pain abdomen and loose tools. It is quite obvious from the history and symptoms.

She will definitely need an antibiotic, and the antibiotic which is given that is ofloxacin is absolutely correct. However, it takes up to 3 days time to recover from food poisoning. Syrup emeset which contains ondansetron should be given for 24 hr, as chances of vomiting are more in first 24 hours. paracetamol syrup should be given for fever. You should continue this medicines for 3 days. A second check up with doctor should be done after 48 hours.

According to you,she always gets stomach infection and cold and throat infection, this suggests that her immunity level is low, and that is why she is getting frequent infections.

In my opinion, after the child is recovered from food poisoning, child should be given multivitamin syrup like syrup Bevon for a period of 1 month. Also, you need to take some precautions like avoid food from outside, give more fruits in diet, give lemon juice small amount in diet, give more fluid to child, avoid dust.

If there is infection, then antibiotic needs to be given. So I think, that your doctor always give antibiotic also suggest that she is developing infection every time. So, you need to give this multivitamin syrup after she is recovered from this episode of food poisoning.

I hope this will help you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Deepak Patel 18 minutes later
Thanks
But pls confirm the dosage of multivitamin Bevon and if we give this whether it will suit sometimes doctors give iron surup and dhe got loose motion

Whether this bevon improves the immunity
Can you suggest some suplements to be added in milk like horlicks or bounvita for better immunity

Also i want to tell you that every year when she got this infection then after some time she had typhoid
Doctor say sometimes bacteria remains due to infection and they cause typhoid.

She is facing typhoid from last 2 years

We have already given vaccination for this

Can we have ultrasound for checking some bacteria so that this typhoid not occur this time
Answered by Dr. Deepak Patel 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
multivitamin syrup is safe.

Detailed Answer:
hello and welcome once again to this forum.

Multivitamin syrup like syrup bevon ddoesn't not cause any problems like loose tools, Unlike the iron syrup which is given only when there is low hemoglobin levels and iron deficiency anaemia.

Multivitamin syrup will definitely improve immunity. You can give the syrup as 5 ml two times a day for a period of 1 month. This should be started after completing the antibiotic course.

Since, your child 5 years ol, Horlicks or Bournvita can be added to milk for increasing immunity. However multivitamin syrup contains all the necessary Vitamin B comple, therefore you should give the multivitamin syrup. In addition, you can give Horlicks or Bournvita in milk.

I hope this will help you.
Follow up: Dr. Deepak Patel 12 minutes later

She is facing typhoid from last 2 years

Answered by Dr. Deepak Patel 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Typhoid vaccine will take care of infection.

Detailed Answer:
hi,

Typhoid infection occurs due to intake of infected water. That is the water which is not filtered like tap water or open water.

Typhoid infection can sometimes remains latent, because of inadequate treatment. But, this latent infection leads to passage of typhoid bacteria in stools, which leads to infection to other persons. Infection does not open to the same person due to this latent infection.

Typhoid vaccine provides for 3 years. Since you have already given this vaccine, your child will be protected for Typhoid. But, if the exposure of infection is more then typhoid can occur. So, the first thing that you do is to give filtered water to child, avoid food from outside because it is the main source of typhoid infection.

Ultrasound will not help in checking some bacteria of typhoid infection. There is no need to do any blood test now because typhoid is not present now. In cases of active infection, in which the infection is not controlled by antibiotics, we usually do blood culture levels to see the sensitivity of organism to the antibiotic given. But since there is no active infection now, there is no need to do this test.

I hope this will help you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Deepak