question-icon

Does intake of Nitroglycerin help in curing chest pressure?

Posted on Thu, 31 Mar 2016
Question: I am 92. On the treadmill at 2 MPH I feel pressure in my chest. Should I
take nitro or stop excercise?
Answered by Dr. Meriton Siqeca (49 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Normal aging

Detailed Answer:
Hello, Sir. Thank you for your question and welcome to HCM. I understand your concern.

Well, coronary artery disease can be manifested in different manners and ages. Even though it may be present, an age of 92 years old is counterindicated to have a coronary angiogram, because medication taken as preparation for the procedure, are not indicated for ages above 80 years old. This process may be mainly from the calcium deposited within the coronary arteries, which is a physiological phenomenon that happens in the normal, physiological aging. If angina is sensed (tenderness or heaviness in the mid chest), a tablet of nitrates under the tongue is recommended to be used. Also, I would recommend that treadmill or other heavy, demmanding exercise, should be stopped at this age. I would recommend a 30-40 minutes a day physical activity, such as walking.

I hope this information is helpful. I am happy to help, if you have follow-up questions. Please close the discussion and rate te answer, if you do not.

Best regards,
Dr. Meriton
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Meriton Siqeca

Cardiologist