• question-icon

Does intake of Methadone help in pain management?

Posted on Fri, 27 May 2016 in Mental Health
Question: hello, I am a 32yo female. I started methadone for chronic pain. I have had 2 surgeries, first a laminectomy/discectomy for Cuada Equina Syndrome. then a fusion at the L4 S1 area. I have spinal stenosis epidural fibrosis, degenerate disc disease, 2 herniated discs and CONSTANT pain in my lower back, right leg and my neck. my family Dr knows I was going to try methadone, and my methadone Dr said for pain management other than methadone, I need to see my family Dr. last week I went to see my methadone Dr, but my regular Dr wasn't there. it was a lady Dr seen via computer. she called my pharmacy, canceled my pain meds prescribed by my family Dr (Dilauded 8mgs 4x's daily for break through pain, and Xanax for social anxiety disorder) and accused me of double doctoring...? I just did what my Methadone Dr told me to do!? now I'm terrified and in severe pain. what do I do?
Answered by Dr. Chintan Solanki 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
first of go to ER for pain treatment

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing to us. Your problem is likely due to misunderstanding of new doctor. You can ask your actual Methadone doctor and family Dr to clarify the issue with that other lady doctor. Likely that lady doctor has missed your information and she felt that you are abusing opioids. As such there is high chance of abuse of opioids so she cancelled the prescription.

However without medicines you would have severe withdrawal and your pain will be severe. I recommend going to ER with your all case records and past prescriptions so they can help in treatment of pain and withdrawal until your treating doctors solve the issue.

Hope I have answered your query, I will be happy to help further.
Dr.Chintan Solanki.

Dr. Chintan Solanki

Psychiatrist