• question-icon

Does intake of Meprate affect pregnancy?

Posted on Fri, 4 Aug 2017 in Women's Health
Question: Hello my wife did not get periods for 4months...at tat time of delaying periods i check pregnancy test upto 75days, results came negative...after tat i went to dr to treat period problem...dr prescribed meprate for 10days...after 20days also no periods came...then i take usg scan...result is 6weeks fetus in uterus...Dr said tat no problem,u continue the pregnancy...meprate taken before ovulation time as per scan report..so no fear to continue the pregnancy...but i m very afraid about it,,,pls give better suggestion...
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Your baby is safe. No need to worry.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
Meprate is a synthetic progesterone preparation. it helps in proper placental attachment if given during pregnancy. Taking only for 5-10 days will not affect the baby in any way. There is no need to worry. Your wife can continue the pregnancy and go for regular antenatal check ups and ultrasound scans.
Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 24 minutes later
Thank u sir...if my wife took meprate during ovulation time,wat i do...Dr prescribed 5tabs of meprate,then no periods came,so another 5tabs taken from medical store without consulting Dr...so only i very afraid about it...pls
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Taking Meprate for short term will not affect.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.

Taking Meprate just for 5 or 10 days will not affect the baby. It will rather help in placental attachment and sustaining the pregnancy. No need to worry.

Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN