question-icon

Does intake of Losar help in reducing cholesterol levels in blood?

Posted on Mon, 9 May 2016
Question: Hello sir,i had pressure level 150-90,my doctor prescribed me losar 50.Now my colesterol (ldl was 150,6 months ago)gone down to 120 and pressure is 110-70,do i need to continue losar 50?
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan (59 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Life long drug / also Life Style changes needed

Detailed Answer:
Hi friend
Welcome to Health Care Magic

Losar is symptomatic treatment – it does not treat the cause of the disease.
The treatment is life long
If the pressure is well controlled for a long time, your doctor may reduce the dose / not stop the drug
If you stop the treatment, pressure will go up again

You must aim for LDL cholesterol of 100 / even 70 or less
You need Life style changes - weight to normal / No tobacco or alcohol / Diet and exercise
Repeat the test in 6 to 8 weeks… if still high, you need drugs / Statin is the first choice... and your doctor will give appropriate prescription
(Cholesterol is manufactured in the liver / determined by heredity / Diet has a definite but limited role.)

Good luck
God bless you
Dr. Anantharamakrishnan

Cardiologist