Does intake of Humira affect menstruation cycle?

Dr. S Patra

OB and GYN Specialist

Posted on Tue, 7 Jun 2016 in Pregnancy
Question: Hi! Im a little concerned about my menstrual cycle due to me starting Humira. I have been diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis and psoriasis. I'm 28 and in good health. I just hd blood results taken 3 months ago and before i started the humira, and doctor said I looked healthy besides needing to up my vitamin d a little more. I did my first humira shot last week, and i ovulated the week before. My husband and i use family planning for birth control. I have used this method for over 2 years and been fine. My cycles are an average of 28 days. The latest was one time at 33 when i detoxed. And my periods last 4 days. When i asked the doctor before trying. Humira if it affected menstruation they said no. Doing my own research i saw there was a .003 % chance of that happening. I am not 6 days late. I have tested twice and it has said negative. I have none of my normal symptoms except sometimes very faintly and then they are gone in a few seconds (mild weepy feeling and very mild cramping) my periods and pms are always very bad. So thats weird. Anyhow im due for my next humira shot on wednesday. Is it really as common as women say (online) to get BFN's and still be preganant? Would the humira make me miss a period altogether? What happened to the ovulated egg if so?
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Humria doesn't affect period. Do blood test for beta-hCG.

Detailed Answer:
Hello Dear,

Thanks for writing to us. Followings are my comments:

1) HUMIRA (Adalimumamb) DOESN'T affect period cycle. Hormonal imbalance and mental stress are the main associated factors for late period.

2) It is quite uncommon in women that they are pregnant in spite of BFN. Blood test for beta-hCG is most reliable in doubtful cases. On NEGATIVE test, you may need to take progesterone pill like Norethisterone for 3-5 days to induce period.

3) Beside pregnancy, irregular diet pattern, pelvic or vaginal infection, weight gain or sudden loss, emotional upset, PCOS etc may cause disturbance of period cycle. Do one pelvic ultrasound scan (USG) & complete hormone profile if your period is irregular or late for next 1-3 cycles.

4) If you ovulate timely, then you have quite chance of regular period in absence of pregnancy. If there is late period, there will be improper ovulation and ovulated egg discards when your cycle starts. Ovulation occurs approx 14 days prior to next due date.

Hope, it helps for your information. Wish your good health and take care. Practice safe sex always.

For future query, you can directly approach me through

http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/Funnel?page=askDoctorDirectly&docId=63326

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. S Patra 28 minutes later
Thank you so much for your descriptive answers! Really appreciate it :)I heard you should wait until you are two weeks late to get a blood test. Is this true?
Answered by Dr. S Patra 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Statement is not true. Blood test gives early result.

Detailed Answer:
Hello Dear,

Thanks for follow up query.

It is NOT true that you should undergo blood test when period is 2 weeks late. You can do blood test for beta-hCG test as early as 10 days after fertilization. It gives early test result than home pregnancy test.

Hope, it helps for your information. Good luck and take care.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Deepak