• question-icon

Does intake of Flomax cause urinary incontinence?

Posted on Tue, 24 May 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Can Flomax cause incontinence?
Answered by Dr. Ronald Schubert 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Flomax

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for contacting HCM with your health care concerns.

You are concerned that flomax could possibly cause incontinence. the short answer is no. Flomax is used for mean who have inability to fully void while urinating. This leaves a large residual amount of urine in the bladder and causes you to get up at night to urinate. It relaxes the bladder muscles so you can more efficiently empty your bladder. It should actually help prevent incontinence.

I hope I answered your question. Please contact us again if you have any additional questions
Follow up: Dr. Ronald Schubert 22 minutes later
What's the longer answer? There are some sources that briefly mention the opposite as another possibility:
http://YYYYY XXXXXXX com/content.aspx?productId=10&pid=10&gid=000050

http://www.YYYYY.com/mmha/pdf/table2_excerpt.pdf

Answered by Dr. Ronald Schubert 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Stress incontinence

Detailed Answer:
thank you for returning to HCM. The long answer was the second part of my response on how the alpha blockers work. The Merck XXXXXXX does list stress incontinence as a side effect but that side effect is usually only seen in women. Because they don't have a prostate and the urethra is so short that when women cough sneeze or laugh they can get some bladder leakage. This is called stress incontinence. This is not very common in men because the prostate usually obstructs the urethra.
Dr. Ronald Schubert