Does intake of Enterogermina, Zinc supplement and Taxim-O help in curing diarrhea?

Dr. Sumanth Amperayani

Pediatrician, Pulmonology

Posted on Mon, 14 Mar 2016 in Child Health
Question: Hi,
My 15 month old baby Suffering with loose motion last night, near about 12 times. She have her body weight is 7.2 kgs. She also have fever between 102.5 to 101 degree. The color of stool is seems to be green. And the urine passed only two times in a day.....
doctor is prescribed enterogermina twice in a day, with zinc sulfate....also prescribed a crocin and taxim o syrup.

Please advise me is it the right treatment because the stools frequency is still on and urine frequency is drastacally down compare to normal days.
she also not want to take ORS due to taste.
please suggest me I have to continue on this treatment or I have to go hospital for IV or others things
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Looks like viral diarrhea

Detailed Answer:
Hi...Thank you for consulting in Health Care magic.
It seems your kid is having viral diarrhoea. Once it starts it will take 5-7 days to completely get better.

Unless the kid's having low urine output or very dull or excessively sleepy or blood in motion or green bilious vomiting...you need not worry.

There is no need to use antibiotics like Taxim-O unless there is blood in the motion. Antibiotics might worsen if unnecessarily used causing antibiotic associated diarrhoea.

I suggest you use zinc supplements (Z&D drops 1ml once daily for 14 days) & ORS (Each small packet mixed in 200ml of potable water and keep giving sip by sip) as hydration is very important and crucial part of treatment. If there is vomiting you can use Syrup Ondansetron (as prescribed by your paediatrician).
Regarding diet - You can use cerelac...any flavour will do. Avoid fruit juices as they might aggravate diarrhea. You can give zinc supplements & ORS apart from normal vegetarian porridges & soups.
Hope my answer was helpful for you. I am happy to help any time. Further clarifications and consultations on Health care magic are welcome. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish your kid good health.
Dr. Sumanth MBBS., DCH., DNB (Paed).,