Does intake of Enterogermina, Zinc supplement and Taxim-O help in curing diarrhea?

Dr. Archana Verma

Pediatrician

Posted on Mon, 14 Mar 2016 in Child Health
Question: Hi,
My 15 month old baby Suffering with loose motion last night, near about 12 times. She have her body weight is 7.2 kgs. She also have fever between 102.5 to 101 degree. The color of stool is seems to be green. And the urine passed only two times in a day.....
doctor is prescribed enterogermina twice in a day, with zinc sulfate....also prescribed a crocin and taxim o syrup.

Please advise me is it the right treatment because the stools frequency is still on and urine frequency is drastacally down compare to normal days.
she also not want to take ORS due to taste.
please suggest me I have to continue on this treatment or I have to go hospital for IV or others things
Answered by Dr. Archana Verma 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hold Taxim O and start Ofloxacin-ornidazole suspension

Detailed Answer:
Hi
I understand your concerns but don't worry. It seems that your child is suffering from infective diarrhoea. The most appropriate line treatment is ORS, Antibiotic such as Ofloxacin-ornidazole ( Syp. Ornof OZ or O2), zinc supplement and probiotics such as Enterogermina. I would recommend you to change antibiotic from Taxim O to Ornof OZ/O2 and continue rest of the treatment. In case she doesn't accept ORS flavour, you may try with other flavours present at chemist stores. Hopefully she will be fine.

In case, the urine output is less than once every 4-6 hours along with poor acceptance of ORS and lethargy, it's advisable to visit ER for intravenous rehydration therapy.

Hopefully this will be of help. I would be happy to help you in any further questions.