Does intake of Effexor cause dehydration?
Effexor and dehydration:
Hello and welcome,
Venlafaxine (Effexor) does not commonly cause total body dehydration but it can cause a dry mouth. The dry mouth symptom is a known side effect.
I suppose if you develop diarrhea from the Effexor (which can happen but is usually more when you first start the medicine), that can result in dehydration.
Did you have an episode of dehydration that you are concerned about?
I'm very confused as I stopped the diuretics and the only other change was adding the Effexor.
How long ago did you stop the diuretics? And which one were you on?
Sorry. - I was on Lasix. Bad spelling. Thanks
1. If you are on no other medications now other than the Effexor, and,
2. If you had already been on the Lasix without problems of dehydration until you added the Effexor, and
3. If you became dehydrated only after starting the Effexor
Then I think the problem may be due to the Effexor, even if it isn't in the literature on that drug. Medications can effect people in different ways.
But I would also make sure your doctor checks your:
- blood sugar. Elevated sugars can cause increased thirst, urination and dehydration.
- kidney function via BUN and Creatine blood tests.
Some blood pressure medications can cause dehydration too, but you didn't mention being on any.
If everything else checks out ok, then it's time to discuss with your doctor tapering off of the Effexor (slowly so that you don't have discontinuation symptoms).
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Health problems caused by dehydration
- Oedema causes dehydration causes
- Dehydration caused lump in throat
- Can diuretics cause dehydration
- Can lasix cause dehydration
- Does dehydration cause amenorrhea
- Does dehydration cause jaundice
- Dehydration cause dandruff
- Dehydration causes
- Depo provera cause dehydration
- Suggest treatment for chronic hip/pelvic pain
- What causes coughing, sneezing, headaches and watery eyes?
- Suggest treatment for post nasal drainage and runny nose
- What causes foul body odor and overactive bladder while taking Trospium?
- What causes pain near the navel area?
- What causes joints pain with welts and teeth problems?
- Suggest remedy for drainage at back of throat and vomiting sensation
- Suggest treatment for pain under the clavicle
- Suggest medication for ADHD
- Suggest medication for bloating in a person with history of colitis