Does intake of Cialis cause back pain and sciatica?

Dr. Chintan Solanki

Psychiatrist

Posted on Sat, 24 Sep 2016 in Men's Health
Question: I had already asked on the same topic a few days ago and was told there is no correlation. I would like to ask again to be reassured. My 75 year old husband started taking Cialis 5 mg daily about 2 weeks ago for erectile dysfunction and being prostrate enlargement.. It has worked very well for erectile issues, however after 5/6 days he had ciatica in left leg which resolved itself after physical therapist visit. Then 2 days ago after driving out of town for 3 hours he started to have pain in right leg that got better whenever he walked. He still has some bother on back of thigh today
I had read a side effect of muscle/ back pain but had responses from urologist and psychiatrist on your site that they did not think it was from Cialis. Could this be just a coincidence?. If not does it go away with continued use of Cialis which has been great after many years of oroblems.
Answered by Dr. Chintan Solanki 58 minutes later
Brief Answer:
it can cause back pain but not sciatica

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX

Thanks for writing to us again.

Yes you are right that cialis can cause back pain. According to different studies backache is a side effect of cialis in 2-12% of the patients while myalgia in 1-10% of the patients using cialis.

Sciatica is somewhat different thing and it occurs due to local pathology/abnormality of lumbar spine.

Relief of left side leg pain with physiotherapy suggests some local problem. Pain after driving also suggests some local problem.

Considering overall history there is negligible possibility that his pan is related to cialis.
I have never seen any case in my clinical practice with such complaints though literature mentions it.
However in any case we should check the cause for pain by physical examination and MRI lumbar spine. Better to take opinion of spine specialist//orthopedic doctor.

If all causes of sciatica are ruled out and stopping cialis for some time gives relief, then only we can establish the relation between his leg pain and Cialis.

More positive point is, for erection cialis is not needed daily. He can take straight 10 mg just before 2 hours of sex with permission of his doctor in any case if cialis cannot be taken regularly.

Hope I have answered your query, I will be happy to help further.
Dr.Chintan Solanki.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Chintan Solanki 31 minutes later
Is it possible that the pain due to sciatica in left leg can now be in right leg in calf area, also at times in knee area and behind leg can be due to the same sciatica although it is a different leg? appreciate your help and reesponse
Answered by Dr. Chintan Solanki 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
No, with one side nerve involvement pain cannot occur both side

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for follow up. Sorry for late response.

No, it is not possible that due to sciatica in left leg pain can be felt on right side. It can occur when lumbar spine abnormality is affecting nerve roots from spinal cord on both side.

On the other side if it is side effect of cialis, problem should be on both sides simultaneously, not on one side at a time.

Hope this answers your query.

Feel free to ask your doubt if any.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Chintan Solanki 9 hours later
Thanks
Answered by Dr. Chintan Solanki 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
welcome

Detailed Answer:
You are welcome.

You can close the discussion nowand give your feedback and rating so I can improve my service.

In future if you wish you can contact me directly with following link:
http://bit.ly/drchintansolanki

by clicking on 'Ask me a question' on same page with three follow up questions.

All the best.