Does intake of Chromium polynicotinate lead to low blood sugar?

Dr. Shehzad Topiwala

Endocrinologist

Posted on Mon, 9 May 2016 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: Hi. I am 64, 5'2" and weigh 192. I have been diagnosed with hypoglycemia, depression, high bp, cholesterol, and hypothyroidism (the last three are under control with medication.). I recently went on a low carb diet, with frequent small meals,and started high doses of vitamin D, fish oil, and magnesium for the depression. I have lost 7 lbs. I just bought Chromium polynicotinate, but am concerned that it would lower my blood sugar too much, and I am not sure if I should take it all or, if it would be better if I actually ate carbs before taking it.
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hypoglycemia and chromium

Detailed Answer:
To my knowledge there is no published report that has shown hypoglycemia with chromium.
It is good you have managed to lose weight with lifestyle changes.
However, one needs to now for sure if you have true hypoglycemia ie blood glucoses below 65.

There are systematic tests to demonstrate this. If indeed you do have hypoglycemia then the next step is to find out the cause. Some of the cases can be worrisome so it it is very important you have this matter looked into by an endocrinologist.

When I see someone like you in my practice, I typically order the following blood tests in addition to a detailed physical examination:

CBC (Complete Blood Count, also known as Hemogram; includes Hemoglobin, WBC and Platelet counts)
Electrolytes (Sodium and Potassium in particular)
Calcium
HbA1c (Glycosylated Hemoglobin = your 3 month glucose average)
Liver function tests (SGOT , SGPT, Albumin, Bilirubin, Alkaline Phosphatase)
Kidney function tests (BUN, Creatinine)
TSH
Free T4
Anti Thyroid Peroxidase (TPO) antibodies
Anti Thyroglobulin antibodies
25 hydroxy Vitamin D