Does inhaling chemical fumes cause lung damage?

Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar

Pulmonologist

Posted on Tue, 24 Apr 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I cleaned the grout in our bathroom on Saturday a few at a time and rested. I did mix bleach with a household cleanser. Yesterday I took a shower and my son says it opened up my lungs. They really hurt. After I got put and sat down, I felt better. My worry now is, That if I have inflamed my lungs is there anything I should do. I am breathing ok. Just don’t want repercussions in the future because I didn’t do anything now.

Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
No need to worry much.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your question on Healthcare Magic.
I can understand your concern.
By your history and description, possibility of chemical induced irritation is more likely.
Chemical fumes when inhaled can cause irritation and inflammation in airways.
And this can cause hurt like feeling in lungs.
This is usually short lived and recovered by itself in few hours.
So no need to worry much, just inhale fresh air and drink plenty of fluids orally.
If you develop worsening chest tightness, pressure, breathing difficulty, constant coughing etc then consult doctor. Chest x-ray may be needed.
If you don't develop these symptoms for in 2-3 days then no need to worry.
Hope I have solved your query. I will be happy to help you further. Wish you good health. Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj