Does indigestion and an irritated esophagus require medical attention?

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha

Posted on Thu, 26 Apr 2018 in General Health
Question: I’m worried about my health I find that my easophogus is very irratated and I feel like I have indegestion also I recently had a chest infection and have been told by my
Doctor that I have a very high infection rate in proportion to my blood count ... I don’t know whether to go to A&E or not I also have a touch of acid reflux
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Reflux likely to be present

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone very carefully through your query. The very fact that your esophagus is irritated indicates that you have gastroesophageal reflux. It is not mandatory that you would need to feel the sour taste of acid in your mouth to arrive at a conclusion of reflux. Our gastrointestinal tract has a forward propulsive movement (peristalsis) that moves the food material forward as it is digested, absorbed and finally expelled as feces. If somehow this movement gets hampered, food along with the digestive juices would stagnate, stomach acid will reflux into the food pipe and on the other hand the bowel habits would not be proper.

In order to relieve yourself, you need to do the following:
* Avoid spicy food. Take small but frequent meals. Avoid long gaps between meals.
* Avoid alcohol intake (if it a part of your habit).
* Take Prilosec (omeprazole) once daily before breakfast.
* Take plenty of green leafy vegetables as well as other sources of dietary fibers. Take fiber supplements like isabgol/psyllium husk or senna. I would insist you to increase your dietary fiber intake.
* Regular morning walk and exercise to keep the bowel movements proper.
* Take curd or yogurt on daily basis. It contains beneficial bacteria and should help.
* Stress reduction has a very important role to play. Yoga and meditation should help.

Regarding the blood counts, I would be glad if you upload the reports. I would guide you accordingly.

Hopefully that should help.

Let me know if I could help further.