Does increased Lyrica dosage cause muscle spasms and cramps?

Dr. Rohit Gulati

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist

Posted on Sat, 26 Jul 2014 in Back Pain
Question: I am a 56 y/o female OR RN who has had two L4-L5 procedures, and a nucleoplasty at L5-S1 and about 3 months ago had a severe change in my lower back as I had a severe increase in my lower back and to the foot posteriorly in my right leg. At present I am seeing a Board Certified Anesthesiologist who has completed a Fellowship in Pain Management. That having been said, my progress has reached a point where all he can advise is the implantation of a nerve stimulator in the control of my pain. I am currently using a Fentanyl 50mcg patch, Norco 10/325 q 6 hours, Lyrica 150mg q 8 hours, Cymbalta 60mg OD, Zanaflex 4mg q 8hrs, Amitriptyline 25mg q HS, Levothyroxin 0.175mg OD, ASA 325mg q AM, Ibuprofen 800mg BID and Vitamins.
My problem is that in the last week I have been developing ever increasing spasms and cramps in my low back and right leg. A week and a half ago my pain physician increased my Lyrica dose from 300mg q 12 hours to 450mg g 8 hours. My question is whether the increased Lyrica dosage might be responsible for these spasms and cramps. At present, I take my Zanaflex and lay down with the heating pad until the worst of it passes. Any ideas?

Answered by Dr. Rohit Gulati 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
I agree with your doctor's opinion

Detailed Answer:
Since you are from a medical field, I shall answer to your questions specifically.
1. The suggestion of spinal cord stimulator is right given the history of disease and the medicine you've been on. Let me know what's keeping you away from it.

2. Pregabalin (lyrica) may cause muscle pain; but spasms are unknown to occur.

In my opinion, your pain management doctor seems to be doing the right thing.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad