Does increase in DHT level cause alopecia?

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist

Posted on Tue, 24 Mar 2015 in Hair Loss
Question: i am suffering from male pattern baldness (alopecia). i have done some research on internet. it is mainly due to the increase in DHT in body.

i have also check for the medication for issue. Finasteride is the possible solution i have came across.
but, its side effects are not favorable from my side.

is there any alertnative to reduce dht or is it risk free to take finasteride in 1mg form?
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Oral finasteride along with 5% minoxidil.

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you for writing to us at healthcaremagic

I have gone through your query and I have understood it.
Oral finasteride is absolutely safe and US FDA approved medicine for male pattern hair loss.

Oral finasteride inhibits the conversion of Testosterone to DHT and is the only approved alternative. There is one more alternative – dutasteride but it is not yet approved by US FDA.

Treatment is life long.

The goal with this therapy is to arrest or slow down further progression.
In addition to Finasteride you also need to apply Minoxidil 5% solution twice daily.

I would like to request you to upload a few photographs of the affected area/patch so that I am able to guide you better.

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 25 minutes later
hi,
PFA. also, i wanted know about saw palmetto suppliments. I have checked it contribute as major elemnts in blocking dht. should i start taking it?

also could you please suggest the name for good minoxidil and finasteride i could find at drug store?
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Saw palmetto has the same mechanism of action as finasteride

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

Saw palmetto extract has the same mechanism of action as finasteride.

Both of these medicines work by blocking conversion of testosterone to dihydrotestosterone (DHT) in hair follicles as a result of inhibiting the enzyme 5-alpha reductase.

Saw palmetto may have some advantage over finasteride as it is claimed to have less sexual side effects i.e effects on libido.

These medicines are prescription products and are not available OTC, therefore I suggest that you visit a doctor in your region for the needful.
Various brands are available on prescription. Few of the marketed brands are by Dr. Reddy's lab; Gracewell pharma; Cipla ltd etc. All are good products.

Your doctor can choose to prescribe either of these brands.