Does increase in CEA reading indicate recurrence of colon cancer

Dr. Raju A.T

Posted on Fri, 8 Aug 2014 in Colon Cancer
Question: Is a steady rise in cea indicitive of a recurrence or progression of colon cancer .a Reading from 3 To 6 in three months?
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes,

Detailed Answer:

Yes, a rise in CEA can mark recurrence of colorectal cancer. Infact it is used an indicator of the same (recurrence). A rise value from 3 to 6 can be considered confirmatory for for a recurrence in a post operative or post chemo or radio therapy patient.

Hope, I answered your query.

Wish you good health.

Follow up: Dr. Raju A.T 14 minutes later
By recurrence do u mean mets?
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes, could be

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing back.

Yes, there could be metastasis also. But by recurrences I mean cancer recurring at the places it was before the treatment.