Does improper emptying of bladder give inaccurate urine volume measurements?

Dr. Vivek Chail

Radiologist

Posted on Sat, 10 Sep 2016 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: for assessing the post-void residue in the urinary bladder is it possible for the doctor to get the correct readings if the patient has not emptied proper the bladder?
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes it is possible to calculate post void residue accurately

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing in to us.

I have read through your query in detail.
Please find my observations below.

Urine volume measurement using ultrasound is done by taking the urinary bladder measurements in three directions and then the volume is mathematically calculated by the machine.

The same principle is used in full bladder and for post void residue.

Therefore if there is any urine in the bladder after you void then the volume will be calculated using the dimensions of bladder. The doctor will be able to calculate thia accurately if the patient has not emptied the bladder completely.

The value got in the machine is mentioned in the report. However there can be an error due to typing and if you feel your report has a mistake then please discuss with your doctor.

Hope your query is answered.
Please do write back if you have any doubts.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Veerisetty Shyamkumar