Does hypothyroidism have any effect of fertility?

Dr. Purushottam Neurgaonkar

OBGYN

Posted on Sat, 10 Sep 2016 in General Health
Question: Hi Dr XXXXXXX

My wife has hypothyroidism since a few years now. She is 31 years of age. she is currently taking 100mg of Eltroxin. my questions are : does her condition affect her fertility or chances of pregnancy ? Till what age can she conceive safely ? do we need to take any precautionary measures while planning for a family?
Answered by Dr. Purushottam Neurgaonkar 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Control TSH with Eltroxin.Plan beforehand for pregnancy as early as possible.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Dr. Purushottam welcomes you to HCM virtual clinic!
Thanks for consulting at my virtual clinic. I have carefully gone through your query, and I think I have understood your concern. I will try to address your medical concerns and would suggest you the best of the available treatment options.

1.First of all do not panic.

2. Tab Eltroxin that she is taking, must be prescribed for hypothyroidism- below normal functioning of the thyroid gland.
As you might be aware that thyroid hormone plays important role in body's metabolism.
It has its impact on the hormones responsible for regularization of cycles and egg formation , and in way on the fertility of a woman.

Good news is that controlling normal functioning of thyroid gland is possible with use of Eltroxin tablet and monitoring the blood levels of TSH hormone.
With regular intake of Eltroxin and maintaining normal levels of TSH, she can expect normal fertility potential.

3.As per history her age is 31 years now, She is in the good fertile years of her life.It is advisable to get pregnant as early as posssible. With increase in the maternal age, various risk factors related to mother and baby's health also increase.If you no major issues in becoming parents and having baby, I will suggest- earlier the better.

4.It is a very good thought to prepare for pregnacy beforehand.
I will suggest you the following-
Start indulging in a healthy diet and regular exercise regime.
Include plenty of fruits, salads, vegetables in the diet.
Have adequate water intake; say 8 – 10 glasses per day.
Avoid deep fried foods, bakery products, and refined sugars.
Avoid substance abuse, if any.
Start on FOLIC ACID, B12 supplements at least 3 months before you plan to have baby.
Try to be happy, be cool, think positive.

All things will be fine.
May GOD bless you with a bundle of XXXXXXX

I hope this answer was helpful to you!
Please kindly rate it as helpful and write a short review about your experience with me! I would appreciate that a lot.
Thank you and best regards!
Dr Purushottam S Neurgaonkar

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Veerisetty Shyamkumar
Follow up: Dr. Purushottam Neurgaonkar 4 hours later
Thanks Doctor for your detailed and informative answer.

Due to career reasons, we are thinking of planning for a baby in about 1.5-2 years. I know you have mentioned that it should be planned as soon as possible. But Would a period of couple of years affect the risk factors significantly ? please advise.
Answered by Dr. Purushottam Neurgaonkar 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
pre pregnancy preparation and thyroid control till you plan pregnancy.

Detailed Answer:
Hi there, Dear XXXX,
Thanks for appreciating the answer and reverting back.

As discussed earlier, I will suggest you to get started for pregnancy preparation from now only. Let her get good control over thyroid issue.

This will help you to buy time in between now and your expected year of having pregnancy.

It's alright to plan your pregnancy in couple of years.

I hope this answer helps you.
Thanks.
Dr. Purushottam Neurgaonkar

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad