Does hypothyroidism cause hoarseness?

Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan

Posted on Mon, 26 Oct 2015 in General Health
Question: i have a low thyroid i took a bc prowder now my voice is hoarse and i cannot talk .. what can i do to help the problem

i take a half a pill of 50 mcg levothyroxine every morning
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hoarseness is due to hypothyroidism not BC powder.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking

I read your question and i understand your concern. Hoarseness is basically a feature of hypothyroidism and BC powder has not much to do with it. Even if its due to some secondary cause now like sore throat or laryngitis etc, aspirin should help unless you have angioedema or allergy history to aspirin which is unlikely.

I believe your dose of thyroxine is way too low and is causing this hoarseness. We need 1.7 mcg of thyroxine per kg of body weight. You take only half a pill of 50 mcg that makes it 25. So unless you are 15 kg only, this dose is really not sufficient.

Talk to your doctor and let them have a look at ruling out other secondary causes for this new onset hoarseness and its worsening. Aspirin is unlikely the cause.

I hope it helps. Take good care of yourself and don't forget to close the discussion please.

Khan