Does high creatinine level suggest kidney failure?

Dr. Behar Greca

Posted on Tue, 19 Aug 2014 in Kidney Conditions
Question: Does high creatine level ( more than 90 we are told) suggest kidney failure?
Answered by Dr. Behar Greca 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Normal creatinine levels are 60-110 μmol/l...

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thank you for posting.

I have gone through your query and I understand your concerns.

The increase of creatinine level is an indicator of the kidney failure. But, according to the normal blood creatinine level, if it ranges from 60-110 μmol/l for males, that's normal and it doesn't indicate kidney failure.

Make sure to know the exact level of blood creatinine, because a higher than 110 μmol/l level suggests kidney failure, which is a condition that requires a complex treatment.

Feel free to ask me for anything unclear.

All the best,
Dr. Behar.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Behar Greca 6 hours later
So for kidney failure, does this mean kidneys have stopped working and dialysis required?

For my mum they just said greater than 90.
Why did they not give exact reafing?

She does seem
To have swelling of ankles for long time but
Not decrease in urine
Answered by Dr. Behar Greca 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Acute kidney failure...

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thank you for writing back.

Kidneys stop working when the patient suffers from chronic kidney failure. In this case dialysis is required.

A level that is greater than 90, indicates kidney failure, because for females the normal range is 45-90 μmol/l.

But according to your mother symptoms, I think she suffers from acute kidney failure, which doesn't require dialysis.

Acute kidney failure can be caused by many different factors. That's why, its treatment depends on the cause.

Your mother needs to get these tests done, in order to find out the cause:
1- Complete blood count
2- ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate)
3- Urine test
4- Strep test
5- Kidney ultrasound
6- Kidney CT-scanner

The results will tell the exact cause and you should contact a nephrologist, who will determine the treatment of this condition.

If you don't need any further clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.

Take care,
Dr. Behar.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Behar Greca 58 minutes later
Would this b a serious matter ?
Answered by Dr. Behar Greca 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
It is serious...

Detailed Answer:
The condition that your mother is experiencing is serious. But you shouldn't worry because if she treats it in time she will prevent chronic condition.
To do that your mother must get done the tests that I mentioned above, as soon as possible in order to find the cause, because by finding it she can treat acute kidney failure.

All the best.
Dr. Behar.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Behar Greca 25 hours later
I got exact results today , creatine 60 and egfr over 90. That normal ?
Brief Answer:
The results are normal...

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thank you for writing back again.

The level of creatinine 60 μmol/l is normal for females, and the normal levels of egfr are 90-120 mL/min. These results indicate that there is no kidney failure and that the kidney's function is normal. So, there's no need to worry about this.

I hope I have answered all your questions.

Take care,
Dr. Behar.