Does high blood glucose cause frequent urination?

Dr. Ahmad Nazzal

Posted on Thu, 5 Nov 2015 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: Night urination issues:

Getting up at several times at night to urinate varies on a weekly basis. Every now and then as bad as every hour (once a month) but usually every 2 hours with occasional days where it may be twice a night.

Urine flow is weak sometimes stronger then other times. It seems like I empty but can't be sure. Once in a while it takes a while to start, I feel like my Yoga practice has something to do with the starting but can't figure it out. Although Yoga is great it seems like it may attribute to adjusting my patterns, I practice Bikram Yoga to a strenuous high degree.

A check up about 20 months ago didn't reveal very much prostrate abnormality and I was given medication that relaxes the muscle around the urethra I think. This started to help after 2 weeks and I had a few lapses in taking the medication then got off of them completely hoping I could somehow get better without treating symptoms.

Water is a big part of life since I live in the desert. Drinking consistently all day is normal and I usually stop around 8pm, it's not unusual to drink 5-20 ounce glasses consistently and on lifting days C4 (creatine nitrate drink that effects blood flow and energy) I take creatine and glut-amine in 6 week cycles off and on. I drink a cup of coffee in the morning and a strong cup of XXXXXXX coffee in the afternoon, 1 to 3 alcoholic drinks (beer or wine sometimes a martini) 3 times a week.

Diet consist of dark green salads every day with chicken, fish and sometimes eggs, diet is very consistent, eat red meat occasionally. I also take bulk forming psyllium husk every night and have been for 15 years.

Exercise includes lifting weights moderately and Bikram Yoga 5 to 7 days a week depending on how well I'm healing.

The supplements and Yoga might be an issue as well as age. During the last checkup the doctor didn't seem my prostrate was enlarged outside of the norm. Could there be a different problem other then the usual suspect?

What can I do?

Answered by Dr. Ahmad Nazzal 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Diabetes check up

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXX,

Thank you for trusting us in HCM with your question. I will answer your question to the best of my knowledge.

Well rightly enough your doctor suspected and tested for prostate enlargement and even treated you for it. Since that didn't help I do recommend you visit an endocrinologist, ask for fasting sugar level test, and accumulated sugar level test. High sugar level can lead to increased urination frequency. If you noticed weight changes, your mouth breath smells fruity those can also indicate signs of increased sugar level.

Moreover a kidney function test is worth it to check the working of the kidneys and electrolytes levels. blood sodium and osmolality levels, anti diuretic hormone blood levels.

Its also worth to check on your heart, blood pressure, and EKG to role out any heart problems.

Another possibility is urinary tract infection, but this is a remote possiblity since this will usually be associated with burning during urination, pain, fever which you do not seem to have.

If no issues with sugar level or heart, visiting a urologist will help determine if you issues related to bladder functions, bladder emptying test can be done.

So many issues can lead to this frequent urination problems, number one reason in your age group is increased blood sugar level, other possibilities I covered previously can lead to that to a lesser degree.

Feel free to ask me further questions, or to send me tests to check.

Hope that helped.

Best regards,
Dr. Nazzal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar