Does high HCG levels indicate multiple preganacy?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Wed, 27 Aug 2014 in Pregnancy
Question: As of Wednesday, August 6th I was told I was 4weeks pregnant with hcg level at 611. I had some slight pain on the right side of my previous csection scar so went to ER and they ran blood test and said my hcg level was 3775. My question is: is that normal for it to go up like that with in just a matter of days? Or also could I maybe be pregnant with multipes?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
This is normal.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
Normal beta-HCG levels in early weeks (after conception) are as follows:
1) 0-1 week > 0-50 mIU/ml
2) 1-2 weeks > 40-300 mIU/ ml
3) 3-4 weeks > 500-6000 mIU/ ml and so on (Peak level on 8 weeks).

Generally, beta-HCG level will double every 30-72 hrs and your level is within normal range.
Twin pregnancy can only be detected after an ultrasound scan.
Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal

Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 minutes later
Are you able to see anything on a ultrasound at this early stage? when is the earliest you can see anything
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
6-7 weeks.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
Yes we can detect the gestational sac at 5 weeks. The fetal poles and cardiac activity can be seen at 6-7 weeks.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.

Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 5 minutes later
During my ER visit they did 2 different ultrasound s and said they couldn't see anything so said it may not be a vital pregnancy. but I haven't had any bleeding and my hcg level is still going up. Since I'm only 4 weeks should I be concerned?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Nothing worrisome.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
It is normal not to detect anything at 4 weeks. The rising HCG levels are suggestive of a viable pregnancy.
No need to worry. Get a follow up scan done at 7 weeks.
Regards.