Does having IBS cause pain in navel area?

Dr. Mukesh Chugh

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement

Posted on Wed, 27 Aug 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: For years I have had this pain and have told many doctors of it, but they don't know what it is. Feels like a handful of sharp needles puncturing me directly below my navel and at the same time above my left knee about half way up. Always in the same spots. Lasts a few seconds and not too often. Seems to come in spurts! One dr told me it was IBS.
Answered by Dr. Mukesh Chugh 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
More detail examination and blood work required

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for posting
I have gone through your query and understand your concern. To understand better I would like to know-
1. Is there any difficulty in climbing stairs, brisk walk and dressing up?
2. Do you have the symptoms after having day looming20mg?
3. Do you have blood test done and are they normal like blood sugar level and other?
Your symptoms could be due to one of the many types of neuropathy and is safe to have oral/inject able form of vitamin B12.
Looking forward to your reply.
Take care and I shall be glad to answer any further query.

Follow up: Dr. Mukesh Chugh 6 minutes later
I was once told it was IBS. What exactly is neuropathy?
Answered by Dr. Mukesh Chugh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
As follows

Detailed Answer:
Hi
It's good to see you.
I have gone through your reply carefully and I doubt it is because of IBS.
Neuropathy is a disorder of the peripheral nervous system. It may be genetic or acquired, progress quickly or slowly, involve motor, sensory or autonomic nerves and affect only certain nerves or all of them. It can cause pain or loss of sensation, weakness, paralysis, loss of reflexes, muscle atrophy, or, in autonomic neuropathies, disturbances of blood pressure, heart rate, or bladder and bowel control; impotence; and inability to focus the eyes. Some types damage the neuron itself, others the myelin sheath that insulates it. Causes include diseases (e.g. Diabetes mellitus, leprosy, and syphlis), injury, toxin, and vitamin B12 deficiency.

Hope this helps.