Does glutathione whitening pills help to get fair complexion? What are the side effect?

Dr. Kalpana Pathak

Dermatologist

Posted on Sat, 2 Feb 2013 in Beauty & Cosmetics
Question: hello docter,i have wheatish complexion and i am 26 years old girl.i want to know that is there any way to get fair complexion.searching on net i found that some medicine is useful .i just want to know that midicine is useful or not.medicine name is glutathione whitininig pills.is there any harm on body to take these pills.plese doc ans me .i am willingly to know the answer.and if any suppliment is exist to get fair complexion pls ans me.i am very thankful.thank you
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXXX

Welcome to XXXXXXX

It is always better to aim for a flawless, even toned, radiant skin rather than trying to achieve a fairer skin tone.

Glutathione supplements were basically used as antioxidants, immunity boosters and detoxifiers. These help in cell regeneration. That is these were basically used to maintain a good health. However, with regular use of these supplements along with vitamin c supplements it was noticed by many that it led to a fairer and radiant skin. But it's use for this purpose is not US FDA approved( it is the highest governing body for use of medicines)

Some side effects like skin allergy and breathlessness has also been noted with its use.
It is not easily available in India and there are only few cosmetologists who would vouch by its positive skin effects.

As far as my personal opinion is concerned, I would advice you to use a good sunscreen, take vitamin c supplements and undergo few chemical peel sessions to even out skin tone and give you a fairer glow. You can also use Kojic acid, arbutin, vitamin c based creams or Glycolic acid creams every night to get a clearer skin.

Hope that answers your query. Should there be more questions I would be happy to help you out.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Mohammed Kappan
Follow up: Dr. Kalpana Pathak 30 minutes later
doc i have taken 7-8 doses of lachesis which was prescribed by homeopathic doc,he said that is is useful to get fair complexion.is there any harm from this medicine .and i want to know about glutathion i want to eat this medicine.can i have this medicine.pls ans me.
Hi XXXXXXX
Thanks for writing in.
I might not be able to give my views about lachesis as it is a homeopathic medicine. However if an expert homeopathy doctor has given the medicine, there must be indications of its use to brighten complexion in homeopathy.

As far as glutathione is concerned it is usually required in a dosage of 20 to 40 mg per kg body weight every day or you can say as a single tablet of 1000 mg per day. It is also advised to take oral vitamin c tablets to enhance its effects. You might need to continue using it for 3 to 4 months to notice desirable effects. Once the effects are achieved, glutathione should be continued at a dose of 500 mg per day to maintain its skin lightening effects. Also, do not forget to avoid sun exposure to have good results.

But frankly, I would still suggest you to go for few peeling sessions ( Glycolic acid, Kojic acid or arbutin peels) and use a good sunscreen.

Hope that answers your query. Wish you a healthy glowing skin. Take care.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E