Does flu vaccine protect against all strains of flu virus?

Dr. Ivo Ditah

Posted on Wed, 8 Mar 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: My husband just got diagnosed with flu. His doctor did not specify which strain. We both received the flu vaccine in the fall. How likely is it that I can catch it from him?
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Chances are low but avoid frequent contact! Approximately 50%

Detailed Answer:

Flu vaccines prevent most infections but not totally. You still have bout a 50% chances getting infected. I will suggest that you try to keep away from coming in contact with respiratory secretions from your husband. Keep the doors open, he should always cough/sneeze into a tissue, dispose off carefully, etc. This way, you can greatly reduce the chances of contracting the virus and developing an infection.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Keep me updated about your progress. I wish you well.