Does fasting blood sugar level of 140 indicate diabetics?
Prediabetes or Diabetes.
Thanks for your question.
Noted your concern.
Fasting blood glucose of 140 (>125mg/dl) denote diabetes.
While 119 denote Impaired Fasting Glucose (IFG) ie. Prediabetes.
Type 2 Diabetes is due to insulin resistance.
Fasting blood sugar depends on Hepatic glucose output (Glucose produced by liver to meet body's glucose requirement).
Postprandial blood glucose depends on intake of glucose in food.
Insulin resistance at liver leads to raised fasting glucose level.
Insulin resistance at muscles and adipose tissues (fat) (called as peripheral tissues) leads to raised postprandial blood glucose level.
When insulin resistance at liver is more than peripheral tissues, fasting blood glucose level is more than postprandial blood glucose level.
In such case I may suggest OGTT (Oral Glucose Tolerance Test) and HbA1c. Depending upon it further treatment like diet, exercise, medications can be advised.
Also If the diabetes or prediabetes is confirmed there may be need for treatment for your abnormal Lipid profile.
Hope this helps you.
Dr. Abhay Mali.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Fasting blood sugar level 133
- Fasting blood sugar level 193
- 117 blood sugar level fasting
- Fasting blood sugar level 102
- Blood sugar levels for diabetics
- What does fasting blood sugar level of 108indicate
- Fasting blood sugar tests indications
- Is 138 fasting blood sugar diabetes
- Fasting blood sugar levels 109
- Variable fasting blood sugar level oral medication for diabetes