Does excessive green tea consumption interfere with iron absorption in the body?

Dr. Bhanu Partap

Cardiologist

Posted on Fri, 10 Aug 2018 in General Health
Question: Hello doctor,

Hope you are doing well.

I am writing to you to get your suggestions regarding the following; I had ectopic for few seconds today after almost like 2 months and I noticed that I am having ectopic when I am having green tea everyday at office. Last month I was on holiday and did not consume green tea and I felt absolutely fine without any ectopic or other symptoms. Right from the time I am back in office, I started with my habit of having green tea twice a day (2 bags each time) and I felt the ectopic today again and then realized that I am having these sensations only when I am having green tea.

I now understood that I am consuming abnormal levels of green tea as I read about the caffeine contents and that I am having 2 bags at a time. Is this correct? Does having so much green tea be harmful? I have read on a website that green tea reduces the iron content in food. is this true?

Now that I have taken, is there any way to recover from these effects as soon as possible (I will obviously not have green tea anymore.) apart from that, is there any diet I need to follow to gain my nutrients back (like iron, etc. if at all they are reduced due to over consumption of green tea?)

Awaiting your response.

XXXX
Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Don't worry

Detailed Answer:

Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service.

Good to hear from you again.

First of all we both know there are several different types of green tea in the market and we absolutely have no idea what sort of herbs or what all the companies are actually putting in them. So its very difficult to figure things out.

A good green tea doesn't have any effect on iron. I myself use green tea just once in a day and I make it simply from Tulsi leaves, mint leaves and lemon juice.

You can also try this. Stop using the one purchased from market and don't worry there is no need to start any dietary supplements or something.

I hope this information will ease you and relieve your worries.

Kind regards,

Dr. Bhanu partap
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad