• question-icon

Does excessive breastfeeding cause weight loss?

Posted on Sat, 12 Aug 2017 in Pregnancy
Question: My wife has reduced too much weight after delivery. We have a 1.2 year old daughter now.

Her weight 56 kgs before she conceived and it went up to 68 kgs when she delivered. It was a c section delivery. After delivery she gradually started loosing weight and now she is 45 kgs.

I did her general health check up last December and all the reports were normal. Also, she is healthy otherwise.

Our daughter was on exclusive breast feeding till she was 6 months and she is still on feeding.

I believe that her weight loss might be associated with extensive breast feeding and little worried on that now.

Please advise on any precautions to be taken and supplements if any can be taken.

Her BMI is now below 20 and not yet reached the underweight BMI of 18.5. If she loose another 3 to 4 kgs then she will be underweight.

Please advise.
Answered by Dr. Manisha Jain 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Precautions advised

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear thanks for trusting health care magic
Get her sugar test and thyroid hormone levels at the earliest and start protein supplements in the form of eggs, pulses, soyabean and milk.
Ask her to wean the baby as soon as possible
All the best
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Manisha Jain

OBGYN