• question-icon

    Does enlarged uterus lead to abdominal pain?

Posted on Fri, 13 May 2016 in Women's Health
Question: Was diagnosed a couple of years ago with an enlarged uterous, dr. said it was twice the size it should be. At the time I was 46, he said I was close enough to menapause that i shouldn't have it removed. However, I have a lot of stomach problems, get constipated easily. Sometimes have pain in lower adominal area. Pain sometimes during sex. Could the enlarged uterus be causing my abdominal pain. Have had a colonoscopy, results were normal. feel tired a lot. Should I have uterus removed or wait till menapause? I have some symptoms of menapause...hot flashes mostly, moodiness.
Answered by Dr. Jacqueline Brown 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
You should make sure the uterus is the cause of your pain before surgery

Detailed Answer:
Hello, and I hope I can help you today.

A woman's uterus can be enlarged for a number of reasons, but the most common of which is due to the presence of fibroids. Fibroids are benign tumors of the muscle of the uterus that can grow in the uterine wall, causing a bump to form on the uterus which, depending on it's size and location, can enlarge the uterus all over or cause a bump to form on the surface that can press on neighboring organs. The most common symptoms of fibroids are heavy and long periods, and/or a feeling of bloating and sometimes pressure and pain.

Knowing exactly if you have fibroids in your uterus and if they are pressing on your vagina or rectum will determine if your symptoms are due to the enlarged uterus. An ultrasound examination will be able to measure your uterus and determine if the enlargement is significant. It is true, as your doctor said, that your uterus does tend to gradually shrink after menopause, but depending on how big your uterus is now, and if you still get your period every month, it could be a few years before you notice a difference. The shrinkage of a woman's uterus after menopause is gradual, and most women do not have significant shrinkage of their uterus for at least the first year after their period completely stops.

So, if you haven't done so already, you should have a pelvic ultrasound to accurately measure the size of your uterus and confirm the cause of the uterine enlargement. If you have a fibroid on the back of your uterus (called posterior) that location can cause rectal symptoms as well as pain with deep penetration. Removal of your uterus, or the fibroid from that location, may very well make you feel better in a shorter period of time than waiting for menopause. You should consult with a gynecologist to make the health decision which is best for you. Or if you like, after you get the ultrasound I could review the results with you to help recommend a treatment plan.

Ultimately, the decision to have surgery is yours alone, and if you are suffering significantly now, there is no reason you should wait until menopause because that can still be a few years away. But you need to first determine what the cause of your uterine enlargement is, and if surgery is likely to improve your symptoms.

I hope I was able to adequately answer your question today and that my advice was helpful. If you have any further questions or need additional assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Best wishes,

Dr. Brown

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Jacqueline Brown 12 minutes later
Thank you for your reply. I did have a pelvic ultrasound, that when the dr told me my uterous was enlarged. He did mention fibroids, but said they were nothing to worry about unless I started bleeding a lot during my periods or inbetween periods. This was a couple of years ago. I do have a lot of bloating and pressure. I still am having my periods, looks my menapause might be a little further off than I thought. I will consult with a local gynecologist. Thanks again.
Answered by Dr. Jacqueline Brown 58 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You are welcome

Detailed Answer:
If you want me to go over any tests or recommendations after you see your local doctor, I would be happy to be of help.

Good luck, and i hope you feel better,

Dr. Brown
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Answered by
Dr. Jacqueline Brown


Practicing since :1996

Answered : 1425 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on

Recent questions on  Abdominal pain

doctor1 MD

I have been suffering from left quadrand pain with my left foot turning purple and the foot being cool to the touch. I had vascular studies done at...

doctor1 MD

For three weeks I have been having severe gnawing upper abdominal pain mainly after eating. Gets worse when I lay down. I stopped eating any oils...

doctor1 MD

Hi I had gallbladder surgery 3-4weeks ago because of gallstones . Last 4 days I noticed that I have reddish spit in the morning .I checked with my...

doctor1 MD

Hi, I got the longer lasting contraceptive fitted last week Monday... I am still having bad lower abdominal pain..... The Nurse told me the pain...

doctor1 MD

My husband got very nauseated and extremely sweaty while urinating. He also got shaky. This happened once before about 5 years ago. What could...

doctor1 MD

I'm having slight bleeding when I urinate and also light vaginal bleeding . I am also having slight abdominal pain . I had cervical cancer and had...

doctor1 MD

Hi doctor so my partner and i had a baby 8 and a half months ago we were using condoms as protection. I have underacfive thyroid . We decided last...

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

171 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction
Questions Answered By Dr. Jacqueline Brown
  • Q - Suggest treatment for irregular menstrual cycles post acupuncture

  • Q - What causes extreme weakness, fatigue and numbness during periods?

  • Q - Is pregnancy possible through oral sex?

  • Q - Can Femara be taken while treating infertility?

  • Q - What causes bleeding in cervix after taking Macrobid?

  • Q - How to calculate the length of menstrual cycle?

  • Q - Is there any relation between blood type and the ability to conceive?

  • Q - How safe and successful is VBAC?

  • Q - What causes burning sensation and itchiness in the vagina?

  • Q - What causes constant vaginal discharge in adult women?