Does electromagnetic radiation cause cancer or any other disease?

Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth

Pediatrician, Neonatology

Posted on Mon, 10 Dec 2012 in Child Health
Question: Environmental concerns: I have concerns in general with electromagnetic fields in my vehicle. I used a gauss meter and found the levels are very high (100mg +). Can this type of radiation cause cancer and other diseases to my family, in particular my 2 year old child? Especially the fact that I drove this vehicle 2 hrs a day while pregnant.

Also, do I need to be concerned with radon and gamma rays/radiation from granite countertops causing any serious health issues for her?

Thank you
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 39 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX
How are you?
You may remember me !
Last time I answered your question on this topic.
Just now I got a SMS to answer your query.
You seem to be very worried about EMF from your car while you were pregnant on the baby.
By the way what car is yours?
Cars seem to have different EMF levels emission and also the levels vary whether you are in front or back,whether headlights are used or not etc.
The car whose EMF you mentioned,is that the same one you are using?
I think what has happened in the past can not be corrected.
Medical literature mentions that effect of radiation in cancer itself is not that high!
There are so many other known and unknown factors that contribute to cancer in general population.
So let us be positive that nothing would have happened to your child.

Reg the granite also studies say that the effect is negligible.
Let us hope so.
All the best
Dr Uma
Follow up: Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 3 hours later
Thanks for your answer. I have an SUV that is popular ONG families. It is not a hybrid just a regular gasoline vehicle. I am using the same vehicle. When purchasing a new one should I measure each car with the gauss meter or is that going overboard?

Thanks
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 37 minutes later
Hi again,
The manufacturers may have the details!
There is also some information on the web regarding the approximate EMF in various car models.

When you go in for new car you are justified to look into all aspects that concern you!
Use of cell phone, GPS,dash board computer,blue tooth technology etc increase the EMF in the car.

All the best
Dr Uma