Does eating unripe papaya during first month of pregnancy leads to abortion. Suggest medicine for abortion?

Posted on Thu, 22 Aug 2013 in Pregnancy
Question: eating lots of amount of unripe papaya during first month pregnancy leads to abortion?plz suggest any tablets for abortion during first month pregnancy?

my sis s having irregular periods
if she is eating unripe papaya regularly is there any use doing so
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 21 minutes later

Firstly, there is NO SCIENTIFIC EVIDENCE that eating papaya in any form can lead to an abortion.
There is NO EVIDENCE for benefit of papaya for irregular periods also.

For terminating a pregnancy - please follow the following steps -
1. Consult a gynecologist immediately.
2. A doctor would examine the woman, confirm that a pregnancy is there, that it is inside the uterus (rarely pregnancy CAN occur outside the uterus) and also exactly date the pregnancy in dates.
3. Based on the results, the doctor will recommend and prescribe medical or surgical method of abortion.
4. Without medical supervision, the woman can be at risk of severe bleeding, infection, incomplete abortion and even death. Do not perform any attempts at abortion on your own without consulting a doctor

For irregular periods -
1. Consult a gynecologist again.
2. Common causes are anxiety, stress, emotional turbulence, hectic travelling, rapid changes in weight, anemia etc.
3. Conditions like hypothyroidism, polycystic ovaries, endometrial irregularity , high prolactin levels etc need to be ruled out by appropriate blood tests and pelvic ultrasound.
4. Only after proper consultation, can proper hormonal therapy be prescribed.

Please feel free to discuss further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Aarti Abraham

OBGYN