question-icon

Does drinking too much water cause headache?

Posted on Wed, 27 May 2015
Question: If I drink too much water in one sitting too fast.. for instance 8 oz in 10 minutes. I wI'll develop a headache. The headache will be felt at the base of my head and on my neck and right side of my head (the temples) My jaw will also become tight and I will get the sensation of needing to pop my ears as if I was on an airplane. Please help, this is very frustrating.
Answered by Dr. Krunal Karade (2 hours later)
Brief Answer:
It is because of combination of raised ICT & tension .

Detailed Answer:

I have read your query and understand your concern.

The only possible explanation / relation between water intake and those headache in my opinion is combination of raised intra cranial pressure (ITC) and tension headache.

If I were your treating Doctor for this case , I would advice you
take fluid slowly over a period of time ,
avoid too much tension , stress , do meditation &
if headache is more use Tab paracetamol twice daily.

Hope this information helpful to you .If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Krunal Karade (9 hours later)
What causea ict?
Answered by Dr. Krunal Karade (20 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Raised intra cranial tension is because of excess fluid around the brain

Detailed Answer:
Hi ,
Thanks for the follow up query.

In your case , raised intra cranial tension (ICT) is because of excess fluid around the brain due to drinking too much water in one sitting too fast.

In my opinion , your headache is probably because of combination of raised ICT & tension due to stress . Tension headache around temples is common in female with small children .

Follow above treatment plan , you will get relief .

Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Pradeep Vitta
Dr. Krunal Karade

ENT Specialist