• question-icon

Does drinking semen during pregnancy reduces the chances of pre-eclampsia?

Posted on Mon, 11 Jan 2016 in Women's Health
Question: In wiki, I am seeing that doing regular oral sex or swallowing semen reduces the chances of having pre-eclampsia during pregnancy ? Is it true, In her first pregnancy she had that. Is it safe to drink her vaginal fluid after having pre-eclampsia ? It happened two months back, and she is recovering now.
Answered by Dr. Sameer Kumar 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
pre-eclampsia

Detailed Answer:
thanks for the query to HCM,
There is no such evidence that swallowing semen or drinking vaginal fluid can decrease chances of pre-eclampsia at all. This is a pure myth.
Pre-eclampsia is related to high blood pressure during pregnancy and the possible cause is defective blood vessel formation at uteroplacental junction after conception. Early in pregnancy, new blood vessels develop and evolve to efficiently send blood to the placenta. In women with preeclampsia, these blood vessels don't seem to develop properly. They're narrower than normal blood vessels and react differently to hormonal signaling, which limits the amount of blood that can flow through them.

Causes of this abnormal development may include:

Insufficient blood flow to the uterus
Damage to the blood vessels
A problem with the immune system
Certain genes.
So it is definitely not going to help , drinking semen and vaginal fluid for sure. The chances of repeat pre-eclampsia however increases in next pregnancy by 20%.
So you must be aware of it.
Dr. Sameer Kumar

OB and GYN Specialist