• question-icon

Does discontinuation of Prozac worsen depression?

Posted on Mon, 31 Jul 2017 in Mental Health
Question: I was taking 20mg prozac for depression 1x in the morning and 100 mg saroquel for sleep at night for 5 years. I suddenly quit the prozac 6 weeks ago and now am very depressed. I contiuned taking the saroquel after quiting the prozac and 6 weeks into it i got very depressed. Now im so numb and depressed, i cant smell and cant eat and am very sad and depressed. Im so physically numb and cant feel anything and dont know what to do.
I started back on the prozac (20mg) 19 days ago( i quit cold turkey may 1st 2017 and got back on it XXXXXXX 18th due to bad withdrawel symptoms)

Being back on the prozac i feel different and my depression seems to get worse day by day to where i cant get out of bed. Im so scared i messed my body up by quitting the prozac for 6 weeks cold turkey.

Please help i dont know what to do.
Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Consultation

Detailed Answer:
Hello, and thanks for your question.

This demonstrates why it is very important to continue taking Prozac. You should never stop a medication without the direct approval of your doctor.

You need to reach out to your doctor immediately so they can resume treating you. You will need to slowly increase the Prozac under the supervision of your doctor until your depressive symptoms improve.

I would call your doctor as soon as possible to talk about this.

Please remember to rate and close this answer thread when you are finished and satisfied.

In the future, for continuity of care, I encourage you to contact me directly at my private web address below. After you ask a direct question, it would be my pleasure to be your dedicated personal physician on this website. My name is Dr. Sheppe, and I am an XXXXXXX doctor working in New York City at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital, ranked #1 for Psychiatry in the United States (tinyurl.com/psyrank). For a personalized comprehensive evaluation, treatment recommendations, and individual therapy, ask me at HealthCareMagic at this private web address: tinyurl.com/DrSheppeAnswers
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 19 minutes later
So do you think i messed my body up by quitting the prozac cold turkey? Ive been back on the prozac for 19 days (20 mg) and i havent improved at all and my depression has gotten worse. Do you think restarting the prozac is not going to work since i stopped for so long?
Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Followup

Detailed Answer:
It takes up to 6 weeks for Prozac to begin working. You need to be patient but I certainly expect over time this will help you.

Follow up: Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 15 minutes later
Just a few more questions.

The first day i started taking it agian i felt really calm and euphoric. Every few days i feel it a little.

Does this mean its not going to work if i only feel it a little after 3 weeks?

I dont have insurance so going to the doctor is something i cant afford at the moment, thats why im talking to you on here.

Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 48 hours later
Brief Answer:
Followup

Detailed Answer:
No, there is no reason to think it will not work. It can take up to 6 weeks to begin working.

You cannot do this safely on your own. You need to apply for insurance and see a doctor as soon as possible to begin safely monitoring this medication.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 3 hours later
Ok thank you for the information.
This is my last question.

Have you ever heard of someone losing their sense of smell and becoming numb throughout their body from major depression?
Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
Followup

Detailed Answer:
No, but depression and anxiety often manifest as bodily symptoms, and what you describe could be related to a mix of depression and more likely anxiety.

Please remember to rate and close this answer thread.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe

Psychiatrist