Does dehydration cause increase in pulse rate?

Dr. Lohit K

Posted on Mon, 21 Jul 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I'm 60 years old. Have high blood pressure and am a diabetic, with normal glucose readings with medication. I have an in-home blood pressure device that I use to take my pressure with about twice daily. A short while ago my pressure was 141/95. It's been running a bit high for about a week now. My pulse is at 92. I had a bout of diarrhea a few times last week and the week before. Does my high pulse rate say that I am dehydrated? I thought I was drinking enough water. May be not. What could be causing the high pulse rate? I'm female. HDL is39. Other #s good
Answered by Dr. Lohit K 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
no need to concern for pulse rate.

Detailed Answer:

I went through the query and understood your concern.

Be relaxed. Increase in pulse rate to 90 may not be due to dehydration. Dehydration is one of the cause for increased pulse rate. This may be due to anxiety, pain, your activities, anaemia etc. So be relaxed for 5 min and then check for the pulse rate. If it is more than 100 then dehydration can be considered. Pulse rate upto 100 is acceptable.

You should continue to have good hydration and all the drugs you are taking. Adhere to your medications. BP variations upto 140/90 is very much acceptable. Since you are already on medications continue the same with life style modifications like daily 30min exercises for 5-6 days aweek, salt restricted food and diet. This will help you.