Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
139 Doctors are Online

Does deformed plastic on meat cause stomach problems?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 2565 Questions
I was cooking hamburgers and when I defrosted the beef mince in the microwave the plastic that the meat came in from the store had deformed and melted around the sides and without thinking I cooked the meat anyway. My girlfriend now has bad stomach pains and feels like she is going to throw up. Did the plastic release harmful things into the meat? Should I be worried and take her to the doctor asap?
Posted Sun, 9 Feb 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 58 minutes later
Brief Answer: Folowup Detailed Answer: Hello and thanks for the question. While the plastic may have contaminated the meat, any harm would likely be minimal. I would encourage gradual hydration over the course of the next 24 hours. If pain worsens over the next 4 to 6 hours would recommend you bring her for an evaluation. If discomfort is persistent might try some Maalox or Pepto Bismol - or a store brand equivalent. If nausea, vomiting, fever or chills develop - that would also be an indication to bring her in. try and help her relax and not worry to much as well - that kind of stress can make this even worse. Thanks again for the query. sincerely, Dr Galamaga
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor