Does dampness in house cause tonsillitis and hyperthyroidism?

Dr. Deepashree

ENT Specialist

Posted on Wed, 20 Aug 2014 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: I am currently living in a house which is heavily affected by damp. The environmental health have recently put 4 category 1 hazards on the property. I have lived here for the last 12 years. Recently I have been diagnosed with hyperthyroidism ( thyroid storm ) also in the past couple of days I have also contracted tonsillitis. I have heard there are links that mold spores could be a cause of thyroid problems and other problems. Could the damp be causing me any of these illnesses. ?
Answered by Dr. Deepashree 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
dampness not related to thyroid diseases.

Detailed Answer:

Dampness in the house cause growth of fungus over the walls causing recurrent allergic rhino sinusitis. Fungal infection of skin and lungs.

As far as my knowledge goes, damp does not cause thyroid disease, but can cause throat infection.
Please stay off from it or get it cleared.

Hope my answers have helped you.

Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari
Follow up: Dr. Deepashree 59 minutes later
Thanks for your answer, like you said, as far as your knowledge goes there is no link that damp does not cause cause thyroid disease.
On the subject that your are ear nose and throat specialist. I have a question for you.
over the past couple of weeks, I have been coughing up quite a lot of mucus, some pure white, some green, and some clear. Pulling it out of my throat. The mucus is very stringy.
I have also had problems after eating, where food is getting stuck. lingering in the throat for many hours. This has caused me breathing problems. For instance, just taking a sip of water, causes me to be breathless. And on some occasions going into hyperventilation. It's a horrible feeling not being able to breath. I have been to the hospital A & E on three occasions and they have done ecg. chest xray, blood and found nothing. Like they say, damp and mold is the silent killer. Do you think in your opinion, that the damp and mold are the cause of these problems. ?

ps I have pdf files which I could send you, on the state of the property which I am currently living. These files are highly confidential.

Thanks
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Deepashree 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes, damp and mold cause respiratory problems.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for your follow up query.
As I said damp and mold causes, respiratory tract infection and allergy leading to cough , running nose and breathlessness.
What your doctor has told is correct.
There is no necessary for pdf files regarding property.
My concern is your health.
Take correct steps as early as possible.
Empirically you can take antihistamines + mucolytics combination drugs twice a day for upto 2 weeks.
do steroid and salbutamol neubulization for
breathlessness.
I would advise you to consult with the doctor as early possible and take help.
hope my answers have helped you. Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj