• question-icon

Does contact with foreign objects require medical attention?

Posted on Mon, 10 Jul 2017 in Infections
Question: hi picked something today at work and it made contact with me all i know it was on the ground and it was moving due to the wind but picked it up again and i threw it away as I know I dont think i was bleeding but it made contact with me all i know it was silveE any recommendations thanks Also i was ripping a bag and i believe the bag was wet from the bottles of soda I felt something go in my left eye i felt it but I put blink drops in is this good any action I should be taken thanks should i worry about two things?
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
no real worries

Detailed Answer:

If there's visible injury (something more than a superficial scratch) then the only thing you need to check is your vaccination status against tetanus. These vaccines should be repeated every 10 years. If you had one done within the last decade then you shouldn't worry about tetanus in this case.

Regarding your eye, if you don't have any symptoms then you should just wash the eye to remove any 'dirty' fluid although it shouldn't pose a serious concern.

So in conclusion, there is nothing worrisome. Just check your tetanus vaccination status and take care of your eye.

Kind Regards!

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 12 hours later
Thanks please tell me when ur eye makes popping sound once in a while underneath lid thanks

Is this normal eye sraib what
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
nothing serious if you don't have symptoms

Detailed Answer:
You're welcome!

If you don't have any symptoms then there is nothing to worry about. The popping sound is probably air trapped inside the fluid that normally covers the surface of the eye and the conjunctiva. Patients usually notice such things when they're anxious.

Kind regards!

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 36 hours later
See the bumps notice this this morning I got scraped that's all I know I believe
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
no open wound

Detailed Answer:
I've checked the image you sent but I don't see signs of an open wound, so I still don't believe you're in danger of anything. I've seen the little bumps too. I can't say what brought them there but the worst scenario would be just a mild type of contact dermatitis.

If you don't have any symptoms, I still believe that you don't have to worry!

Kind Regards!

Follow up: Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 7 minutes later
It's not a disease that cause this???
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
it could be...

Detailed Answer:
It could be a disease. For example, molluscum contagiosum looks a lot like this. I can only say that I don't see any relation to the event which you've mentioned.

If the bumps won't go away within a few days then you should visit a Dermatologist for assessment.

Kind Regards!
Follow up: Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 5 minutes later
Hiv??
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 1 minute later
Brief Answer:
you can't get HIV this way

Detailed Answer:

HIV is completely out of the question... You can't possibly get HIV this way. Besides that HIV usually presents with a febrile mononucleosis-like illness and remains silent for years until it reactivates.

Don't worry!

I mean this not a symptom of it hiv

Way it looks sorry I'm really parnoid
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
it could have been only if you were HIV positive...

Detailed Answer:
Early HIV infection does not cause such symptoms. If you were HIV positive for years then it could have been a symptom, although not alone. Besides that HIV transmission is absolutely impossible in your case.

I can see that you're too anxious about it. Perhaps you should focus on anxiety, not the incident itself!

Kind Regards!
Follow up: Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 19 minutes later
So your sating sorry

bood tests are normal till now i believe had bumps before but i work out at the pool area for my job i think not too certain so your saying this is not a clear stympton is that what you are saying
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
not a symptom of HIV

Detailed Answer:
I'm stating clearly that this is not a symptom of newly contracted HIV as explained in my previous answer with more words. I'm not sure what you mean by "So your sating sorry"... If my answer does not satisfy you, please explain.

I can't say more about the cause of these bumps. You may get such bumps for various reasons. I cannot provide a diagnosis and it wouldn't be right to do so too. I can only say that you shouldn't worry about HIV because you can't get HIV this way and also because the primary HIV infection does not present this way.

So in conclusion, if the bumps won't get better within a few days or if you develop symptoms, you should visit a dermatologist for assessment. They're not a sign of HIV though, so please don't worry.

Kind Regards!
Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis